Nicole's Yankees Blog

Monday, November 07, 2005

New Coaches

To answer your comments, it seems like everyone assures me that Larry Bowa will be a good addition to the Yankees staff. Alright, I believe you guys. I do not know for how long he signed for. I am glad Kyle agrees with me that Derek Jeter is the best shortstop the Yankees had, and they did not replace A-Rod with him, although he is a quality player, and shortstop. I think you have to give Jeter credit for being the team captain for however many years and excelling at that position, there was no need to rid him of it. I am glad everyone enjoys my new blog! I must send a HUGE thank you to one Jackie Dapolito for helping me make my blog as amazing as it is! Thanks! Eric, I would not be surprised if Griffey joined the team, as you are correct in the fact that the orgainization usually goes after big name guys like him. It would not hurt to get another power hitter on the team as well, since during the playoffs the Yankees shot themselves in the foot with regards to hitting and offense. I think there are a lot of years left in Jeter though, and he will most likely make it to the Hall of Fame one day. It would be hard for him to break Don Mattingly's record though, as a record like that probably stands the test of time. Matt, you are correct in saying that Ron Guirdy, who did indeed pitch for the Yankees, is the new pitching coach. They do like to bring back former players to help coach. This is probably because the Yankees culture is one that is unlike any other team in baseball, and only people who have lived through it can really understand and appreciate it. The "Gator" is still in the Yanks' top 10 pitchers for winning percentage, wins, games pitched, innings pitched, strikeouts and shut outs. This announcement was made Friday , along with the new bullpen coach Joe Kerrigan. He joined the Yanks last season as a special advisor to Brian Cashman, doing in-house advance scouting for them. Also, (whew), Tony Pena was named first base coach. He was a manager for the Kansas City Royals from May 2002-May 2005. He won the AL manager of the year award in 2003. Lastly, Lee Mazzilli, who managed the O's for a year and a half, will be the bench coach. He will also be the catching coach, a position held by Girardi last season, and help Cano in his sophomore season. By the way, in case anyone was worried that Cano was leaving the Yanks, this is definetly FALSE. The Yanks have said they are holding onto Cano and Chien-Ming Wang for next year. This is something different for the Yanks, as they usually let go of young players, ie Alfonso Soriano. My last piece of news for the week is that Robinson Cano definetly got shafted for the Rookie of the Year Award, to answer your question Matt. He finished second behind Oakland close Huston Street. He earned 57 points to Street's 97 points. I totally agree wtih Dom Amore, a writer from the Hartford Courant, who explalins why he voted for Cano, "Although Street's numbers were incredibly impressive," Amore said. "I felt that everyday players have to weigh a little heavier." Tampa Bays' Jonny Gomes finished behind Cano. Maybe I am biased because I am a Yankee fan, but Oakland did not do any better than the Yanks in the playoffs, and did you know that Cano lead ALL AL hitters on the road with a .335 batting average on the road? What do you guys think about Cano being second?The only recent Yankee to win the ROY award is my favorite Derek Jeter, who won in 1996. Matsui was second in 2003 behind Angel Berroa (who is he anyway).

7 Comments:

  • Hey, I don't really think that the Yankees will sign Ken Griffey Jr. I don't know how much he is supposed to make next year but I think Brian Cashman said that the Yankees are going to try to keep the salary around where it is at now. You may want to check that out. Also as a yankees fan I don't really want him on our team, he is way to injury prone. What do you think about giving Bubba Crosby a shot in centerfield next year? I think the yankees should give him a shot to win the job. He is a hustle player who always gives his best, and he is fast and a very good defensive player, and that is what the team needs.

    By Blogger Adam Meyer, at 8:38 PM  

  • I think Robinson Cano should have won the rookie of the year voting. The kid had an incredible season, and was one of the big reasons the Yankees were as successful as they were. I also think it is alot different being a relief pitcher and a everyday player.

    I also think Mo Rivera got the shaft by not being voted the winner of the AL Cy Young vote. He had an incredible season, and like Cano was a very big part of the Yankees success.

    Angel Berroa is the shortstop for the Kansas City Royals. He hasn't been very good since his rookie year but honestly who can be good playing for a team as miserable as the Kansas City Royals? I can't argue with him being named rookie of the year over Matsui because, like many of the voters that year, I never really considered Matsui to be a rookie after playing so many years over in Japan.

    By Blogger Adam Meyer, at 11:37 PM  

  • Cano had a great season and will more than likely have more successful ones to come. He shouldn't take his second place finish as an insult, rather it should motivate him to do even better next year. I personally think the Yankees will sign one of two sluggers to join their team: that being Manny Ramirez to a 4 year deal or Sammy Sosa to a 1 year deal. This is just my prediction and I'm unsure of how well Manny would fit in with the Bronx Bombers but luring him away from Boston would be a huge blow to the Sox going in to next season. And yes, Jeter is the man and you have to respect him even if you are a Sox fan.

    By Blogger k_ricker06, at 3:13 PM  

  • I definitely agree that Jeter is one of the best shortstops in the league. I think he definitely has some competition from Miguel Tejada. However, Jeter has definitely proven to be an invaluable player to the Yankees as both a leader and on field contributor. I'm sure we will one day see Jeter inducted into the Hall of Fame.

    I really enjoyed your updated poll. My vote for the Yankees next season center fielder would probably be Bubba Crosby. I would keep Matsui in left field and definitely keep Gary Sheffield in Right. Bubba would bring speed and agility to the center field position which is something Bernie Williams started to lack this past year probably because of his age.

    I'm very disappointed to hear that Robinson Cano did not get AL Rookie of the Year, I enjoyed seeing him progress over the course of the season and really thought he was going to win the award.

    By Blogger M. Fox, at 7:52 PM  

  • I don't think that there is any arguments against Jeter being one of the top short stops in the league. He always puts up impressive numbers and there is no denying his ability to be a clutch player, both offensively and defensively. He seems to thrive on pressure situations and that alone pushes him to the top.

    I also think that Crosby should get a shot in centerfield, unless Matsui gets the nod. I don't see a point in bringing in a player like Griffey. Not with a proposed lower budget and his injury past. There is no denying he is a great player and seems to have put the injuries in the past but the risks might not outweigh the rewards of more spending on pitching and playing the players on the roster.

    By Blogger Marc Shaffer, at 10:24 PM  

  • I too, was a little surprised that Cano did not receive the Rookie of the Year award. I thought he definatly had it in the bag. He did make some huge errors at second base, but what rookie doesn't, especially playing under the pressure of wearing pinstripes.
    I was shocked to hear that Mo did not receive the American League Cy Young award. He was the reason why the yankees won a lot of their games. He got them out of trouble and did it fast.

    By Blogger pinstripes2, at 8:33 PM  

  • I don't think the new coaches are going to play that significant of a rold in the next season. I mean you guys have already tried to buy the league over the past decade by buying high profile players in all positions. If you were unable to win the series this year with the roster of hitters and fielders you had, what are the chances that a couple new coaches are going to make that happen?

    By Blogger Dave, at 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Web Counter
Site Counter