Nicole's Yankees Blog

Monday, October 31, 2005

Some new changes

Hello everyone! My first piece of news is about the future of the Yankees' center fielder, Bernie Williams. He has been in their outfield for the past 15 years, but in the upcoming 2006 season, he will be a free agent, and New York has made it no secret that they are looking for a replacement. Some big names that have been thrown around are Johnny Damon of the Red Sox and Ken Griffey Jr of the Reds, two quality outfielders. However, I do not feel Damon will join the "dark" New York side, (although Roger Clemens and Wade Boggs did), but Griffey could definetly spark some interest of the Yanks, especially because they could afford his eight figure salary. I think they should keep it in house and give Hideki Matsui or Bubba Crosby a chance. What do you guys think?
As Theo Epstein stepped down from the Red Sox as their GM today, last Thursday Yankees GM Brian Cashman announced he will return for his ninth season at the helm in the Bronx. He agreed to a three-year contract extension. I am excited to learn that he was once a Minor League intern and worked his way up to be the GM. Hmm, maybe all of those days of me being a Minor League intern could pay off after all! This contract extension will take the team until they move into their new staidum in 2009. Interestingly enough, the forever talked about item of the New York Yankees, their $200+ million dollar payroll, is something Cashman wants to reduce. I think this is a good idea, because although I am a fan, I think their payroll is a bit ridiculous and maybe not having high end players at each position will help them. Obviously, the best players will be paid the most, but to find a mix of players who will play like a team and not individuals is a huge task that not many teams/managers can do.
To wrap up the week's activities, the Yanks will probably look to keep Matsui on so they can concentrate on a center fielder, and will look at other pitching prospects to offset injuries like Carl Pavano, although he is assuming to be healthy to play by next April when the season starts.
To answer my fan mail, (or just my blog comments) as pinstripes mentioned, I am also a little wary of Larry Bowa joining the coaching staff. He is only the third base coach, but I know Phillies fans did not like him and he was ousted quickly. I am glad Matt posted about the All-Latino team that Alex Rodriguez made, although I thought he was born in New York? Can anyone clarify that for me?
On a last side note, Gary Sheffield and A-Rod were awarded Silver Slugger awards, which are awarded by managers and coaches who voted on the best offensive players for each position. A-Rod, who had won it before in 1996 and 1998-2003, won it for third base, and Sheff won the award for having the best offensive production in right field. A-Rod is also up for the AL MVP and a gold glove. Other Silver Slugger winners in the AL were Texas' Mark Teixeira and Alfonso Soriano, Baltimore's Miguel Tejada, Los Angeles' Vladimir Guerrero, and Boston's Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz and Jason Varitek.

6 Comments:

  • Review: Blogging Tools Need Integration
    First came words, then came photos. Now, many Web journals are incorporating moving images _ and one blogging service aims to make producing and displaying such video easier.
    Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to how to repair a road bicycle on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like how to repair a road bicycle!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:19 PM  

  • Nicole,
    This was a very interesting and informative post. Now that baseball season is over and ESPN's Baseball Tonight isn't on all the time, it's tough to keep up with all the news surrounding the MLB. First and foremost, congrats on keeping your GM for another three years. I do like the idea of Cashman reducing the Yankees' $200+ million payroll. I think this will maybe reduce the image the Yankees have as just a bunch of high-priced guys playing for themselves; and help them to start playing together as a team. Secondly, now that center field is open and Bernie Williams is gone; it will be interesting to see who NY goes after. I do agree with you though that it would be a surprise if Johnny Damon, after all he's been through with the Red Sox, switched over to the "dark" side. It will also be interesting to see if the Yankees go after Ken Griffey Jr, since he has been prone to injury in recent past. Finally, in regards to Larry Bowa and coming from a Philly fan; I wouldn't be too wary of him joining the club. No, he may not have had a great run with the Phillies as a manager; however he has great baseball knowledge and a great presence in the game and I feel as if he would make a great third base coach. Anyway, as I keep saying, I think it will be interesting to see how the off-season unfolds and what changes and additions are made to the team.

    By Blogger Eric Corson, at 9:40 PM  

  • I would like to congratulate Shef and A-Rod for their Silver Slugger Awards. I really hope A-Rod gets the AL MVP award, he is worthy of it. I hope the Yankees sign Matsui within the next couple of days so they can move onto their focus for a center fielder, which is crucial to the Yankees. After the seal the deals in the outfield, they should really work on their pitching staff. Not that their pitching was terrible, they were just really unlucky in the 2005 season with all of the injuries they had. They worked through it, but if their pitching was strong they would have flown threw the season easily. I am looking forward to hearing about all the new deals and new played, and old players who will be playing for the 2006 Yankees.

    By Blogger pinstripes2, at 10:39 PM  

  • Nicole...the blog continues to be very informative. I recently spoke to a friend who told me that Johnny Damon (mostly because of his agent) asked for some ridiculous deal to come to the Yankees, I think it was something like 80million over 3 years, or maybe it was 7 years. I can't remember, but regardless it was a ridiculous amount to ask for.

    As for next years center fielder. If the Minnesota Twins aren't keeping him, I think the Yankees should definitely go for Torri Hunter. Before his ankle injury he was a spectacular center fielder, as well as a great hitter. He has a lot to offer to the team.

    Also, I really think the Yankees should keep Matsui. He is a great outfielder and a great hitter and it will be hard to replace him and then also find a new center fielder!

    By Blogger M. Fox, at 8:04 PM  

  • I definitely agree that it might be a good idea to reduce the payroll. Just because we can afford the best doesn't mean the best will work. As we have learned, and you pointed out, it takes chemistry, and you can't buy that, so maybe reducing the payroll will help. I also feel confident that they will continue to go after top of the line players so i'm not real concerned with the future. As far as center field, I think that all that is necessary is a shift to Matsui or Crosby. I would rather have that, and let them give a young guy a chance in left field. I just don't see Damon playing in stripes, although it would be nice, and I am not convinced that Grif Jr. is ready to be a healthy player day in and out for another few seasons. He has been injury prone and I don't want the Yanks to take a chance if they have the solution on the bench right now.

    By Blogger Marc Shaffer, at 8:51 PM  

  • Screw the Yankees. I don't even really like them. The Red Sox are the best team in the MLB. I know you aren't going to like reading this but o well.
    Actually I don't like the Red Sox, I don't even like watching baseball. This is my last comment that I need to make, so your site was the lucky winner.

    By Blogger Dave, at 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Web Counter
Site Counter